Thursday, December 6, 2012

Course review

                This class has been quite the experience for me.  I have learned about so many things that I barely knew anything about and on things that I had background knowledge of, I learned even more about it.  It really opened my eyes to the situations around me, to the people I see every day and how I view things. 

            I think that the history we learned in class was really good, it gave a great start to the information learned in class and belonged in the category of things that I didn’t really know about.  I really thought that our group blogs and the final presentation at the end were the best parts of this course. I learned so much about my group (disabilities) and honestly want to continue to learn more about what’s going on in this world for people with disabilities and what I can do to help or contribute. The group presentation was a good way to get closer with people in my class that I didn’t talk to often or didn’t know. I think it was great being able to share with the class what we’ve learned.   

            Now more specifically what I’ve learned from the blogs, honestly I had no idea that about 15% of Canadians have some sort of disability, that’s crazy! That means that there should definitely be more resources and programs to assist people with disabilities since 15% is a big number of the population.  And of the 15% of people that have disabilities, I believe that 8% of them are also living in poverty. How could those families take care of their child that has a disability when they’re not making enough money, it’s really sad. I also learned a lot from reading other people’s blogs and their presentations.  It was really a great experience. 

            Collectively I’ve learned a lot in this year, in this semester and in this course, I’m continuing to take social work in my next semester as well and I hope I can learn just as much or more in the classes to come. 

By: Chelsea L

No comments:

Post a Comment