Monday, December 17, 2012

Bonus Blog: What I've Learned

I really enjoyed taking this class, and getting to know more about the history the Anishnaabe people experienced. I took a native class when I attended Sault College so I already had a little bit of knowledge toward the history and what they experienced, but the text book and lectures for SWRK 1006 really helped me understand more. Relating it to Shingwalk Hall and the history of Algoma University really stood out to me also. I like how we have such an open attitude and can learn the issues head on because of the access to Shingwalk Hall.

The blogging assignments were a little unclear and hard to get into, but looking back I know I have really learned a lot. I like how we got a good understanding of the current, past and present issues relating not only to Anishnaabe people, but gays, poverty, physical and mental disabilities and other groups. Learning from other peoples groups has really opened my eyes and made me realize some faults I have within myself and ways I can fix them. I realized that many people in our country have issues and need help, and not enough people are doing anything about it. I can pass on the knowledge that i know have and hopefully educate my friends and family to take a step back and treat everyone equally and realize that everyone, regardless of their issues, are equal.

The movie " No Place to Call Home " was really touching. I truly felt for those kids and parents. I couldn't imagine feeling homeless and not knowing where your next meal will be, or where your going to be sleeping. The poor children had there innocence torn away from them, seeing their parents struggle financially and take on the burden of stress. This was really sad to watch, and I can only hope to be successful in life and not put my kids through that type of sadness.

Throughout this class I have learned about the Ideologies, history and beliefs of the Aboriginal peoples. I really enjoyed taking this class, and it has opened my thoughts of wanting to take more Social Work classes in my Psychology Degree.

- Meri-Beth *

No comments:

Post a Comment